What Is a Hair Transplant?
Hair transplant is the procedure to move hair to the bald area of the head. A dermatological surgeon moves hair from the back or side of the head to the front or to the top of the head. Hair transplants usually occur under local anesthesia.
Genetics is the main reason behind alopecia (baldness).The other cases are improper diet, stress, illness, and medications.
Two main types of hair transplantation procedures are Slit grafts and micro-grafts. Slit grafts use 4 to 10 hairs per graft.On the other hand, Micro-grafts uses one or two hairs per graft. The number of graft depends on the amount of coverage required.
Why Hair Transplant?
Hair transplant help to enhance appearance and self-confidence of a person.
Hair Transplantation is ideal for
- men with baldness
- women with thinning hair
- anyone who has lost some hair from a burn or scalp injury
Who are not ideal for Hair Transplantation?
- people with keloid scars (thick, fibrous scars) after an injury or surgery
- hair is due to medication like chemotherapy
What is the procedure of Hair Transplant?
- Thoroughly cleaning your scalp
- Local anesthesia of the scalp using a needle.
- A scalpel will be used to remove a round section of your scalp covered with hair.
- Then the surgeon will sew the scalp closed.
- The surgeon will detach the removed portion of scalp into small sections using a magnifying lens and surgical knife.
- The surgeon will make small holes with a needle in the area of scalp receiving the hair transplant.
- Hairs will be placed in these small holes during the treatment procedure
- After the graft, the scalp will be covered with gauze or bandages for a few days.
- A hair transplant session can take four hours or more.
We will talk more about Hair transplantation in Part 2 of “let’s Know more about Hair transplant” series. In the meanwhile let us inform on byebyebaldy.com which is known as the best Hair transplantation clinic in Kolkata. Under the guidance Plastic Surgeon Dr. Jayanta Kumar Saha we came a long way to become number one in Hair transplant-related treatments in Kolkata.