Androgenic or Androgenetic Alopecia is a common hair loss disorder that affects both men and women. It is popularly known as male pattern baldness in men and female pattern baldness in women. Upto 50% of male and 25% of females are affected by this condition by the time they reach the age of 50.
Symptoms in Male Hair Loss
- Hair loss above the temples or at the crown of the head.
- Thinning of hair and gradual receding of hairline to form a characteristic ‘M’ shape.
- Extreme baldness resulting in a characteristic ‘U’ shape.
Symptoms in Female Hair Loss
- Gradual loss and thinning of hair in the middle portion or crown of the head.
- The front portion of the head is generally not affected.
- In extreme cases it may lead to complete baldness at the crown of the head.
What causes Androgenetic Alopecia?
Primarily, your genes play a vital role as this is an inherited condition but dihydrotestosterone (DHT) is the major cause for your hair loss. It can also be caused by other medical conditions such as –
- Coronary heart disease.
- Enlargement of prostrate.
- High blood pressure.
In women androgenetic alopecia is also associated with symptoms of polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS) which is characterized by hormonal imbalance and irregular menstruation, acne, weight gain etc.
How to cure Androgenic Alopecia?
Androgenic Alopecia can be cured by:
- Taking FDA approved drugs like Minoxidil and Finasteride.
- Hair transplant surgery.
Taking drugs can cause serious health conditions due to side effects. Also it doesn’t do anything to grow back your hair. That’s why the best way to get rid of androgenic alopecia is to do a hair transplant surgery from a reputed clinic. Not only will it grow back your hair but it will also bring back your lost confidence. At Byebyebaldy, we offer affordable hair transplant surgery in Kolkata. .